PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why design a passenger aircraft with a high wing?
Old 12th Aug 2010, 06:10
code0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at G

The four facts you have mentioned, I am not saying incorrect. Of course Range and the Capacity are not the only to be considered. My point was at the outset the main two decisions are nothing but Range and Capacity. of course all other factors come afterwords. and also mind that I am talking about civil designs.

Low wing has few advantages over high wing at high speeds. forget about aerodynamics!, it will be practically impossible to put a swept back wing with all flaps/slats, air break, ground breaks, spoilers, etc on the top of the fuselage. If so, you will have to build a heavy wing box and make it structurally heavy: that will block the fuselage : reduce the effective capacity of the area.

Also another reason is to with stand the stress and force on the structure at higher speeds. In a low wing, having a wing carry box and putting the landing gear and fuel tanks make the wing box act like a center weight to the plane as well. Also the wing box can be made to with stand more stress than of putting in on top.

summarized: a transonic wing is most unlikely to be configured as a high wing but low wing configuration give more benefits. Hence most of the turbo jets/fans mission-ed to transport passengers medium to long range, place their transonic wing under the fuselage with a reinforced wing carry box.

(feel free to make a list of passenger aircraft with hi-wing with turbo jet/fan that fly at transonic speeds and same with low wing. you wont believe what you will find out.lol).

I agree for what you have said about "available technology" and of course we can't expect any extraterrestrial knowledge transform.

most importantly, don't take this personally. you may have spent all your life in teaching in the academic area or I respect you for whatever you have done. anyhow I wish if you could keep that dignity when you put your thoughts into words as well.

code0