PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help Needed: Going to USA for CPL+CFI (3 rating)
Old 11th Aug 2010, 19:32
Pulkdahulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. How is the flying school? According to my research and some chats with the former students, it looks like the flying school is good but you never know until you have self experience.

I have been reading all of your post for quite a while. An introduction of myself:- I am an ERAU graduate. I started flying in aug 2005, and since then have accomplished all my ratings including flight instructor's. I am currently on F1 visa. F1 student receive a 5 year visa if bachelor or 3 year if Masters. The former being 4 years for program completion and 1 year OPT (optional practical training). A student on masters get two + one accordingly. While doing the degree, we are allowed part time work of 20 hrs max a week and students can get internship with companies - if eligible and can use that experience to count towards their degree completion which means 40 hours a week. Upon graduation and during OPT, you can work full time related to your degree of work. I did a degree in business and minor in flight ops. Loved every moment at embry-riddle. It was a tough flight university but itmakes you really the best. We have had 37 astronauts alumni gone to space with NASA and the last mission for space shuttle will carry two more alumni. My entire cost just for flying at embry was 74,000 wherein till cpl it was 44,000. I had private se, IR SE, cpl SE and cpl ME add on. We had no time building because we were FAA part 142 program unlike FAA part 61, 141 you had to time build.

Dean international work related issues ended up with a big mess for a couple of indian born flight instructors last year. One was a girl and the other was a guy. They hiring was based on you instruct 10 hrs and you get 1 hr of multi time. Sounds insane. Leave that, those couple of student wannabe instructors never got their students in the first place, among which the girl ended up doing something else than flying to survive in Miami, which is embarrasing and no point mentioning, and she left for good. Flying is fine. The work part ofthe deal is a crooked issue. I have been here for 5+ years so I know the in and outs of most school.

2. I am planning to do CFI course because the job opportunities with a basic 250 hour cpl are almost zero. I may be wrong but i think with a CFI rating and some extra experience under my belt, it could be of some use when i apply for a job.

I would say forget about working at dean. Fly but dont expect to be paid or the deal they offer. If you as a fresh CFI do not get paid a minimum of 17 USD an hour, or 19 if you have an MEI with CFII and a CFI, forget it. I did at Embry. It was pay as you go right from day one. The cost they offering you 49,000 sounds fine. The cost of living, the program cost and the ground school - sure. Private - approx 10,000, IR - 6000, CPL ME - 7000, CPL SE - 5000-6000. It depends on what ratings you require for flight instructor initial. Do you want to be a ME instructor rated or a single engine rated and ten have MEI as an add on. Because that will then dictate you do cpl se or cpl me and which one of the two goes as an add on. It's complicated but you will get the picture once you do and finish private And instrument rating.

3. DEAN INTERNATIONAL has offered me a 1.5 year package for CPL+CFI with guaranteed 6 month internship there with a $500 stipend every month + the amount i earn teaching can be utilised to increase multi engine hours.

Don't even dare think about that. It will waste your money just Luke it has done to the previous two candidates. Try Phoenix east or fly Orlando or transpac or schools in arizona that I have heard good stuff about.