PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 14:57
Seldomfitforpurpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cazatou
tucumseh

I don't doubt that you believe that your assertions are correct in respect of navigation equipment limitations - however they were meant to be flying VFR. If they were complying with VFR requirements then they should have had ample warning of the hazardous situation that they were in and they should certainly not have been proceeding at such a high speed whilst approaching fog enshrouded high ground . If they were unable to comply with VFR weather limitations then they should have climbed to at least Safety Altitude whilst turning away from the high ground- NO "ifs" and NO "buts".

There is also the question as to whether they were aware as to the actual position of the turning point in relation to the high ground.
Caz,

But what if they were completely legal with regards to the weather, had planned to make the turn as you suggest and at the last moment had some sort of aircraft malfunction that precluded making the turn and caused the aircraft to crash?

I am not saying that is what happened but can you hand on heart tell me without any shadow of a doubt that it didn't