PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in BigginHill ... Another newbee :)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 14:38
flyingman-of-kent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started off at Surrey and Kent, and found them to be fine till I ran out of money, but it is a club with a school. A couple of years later and more money I then finished at Kingair (part of Cabair and now incorporated into Biggin Hill School of Flying) Cabair is a flying school, not a club and it depends what you feel will suit you at the time.

I do not know much about EFG, sorry.

There is also Alouette Flying Club which has 2 x C172 and a number of highly experienced instructors (including 1 who taught me at Surrey and Kent 15 years ago, who is now on 747's for Virgin when not teaching at Alouette!), nice atmosphere and nice people. It is located right round the back near where Air Touring were, best call up first as the club is not staffed all the time.

My advice for learning to fly is as follows:

Choose the nearest airport (you will be visiting a lot, at least a few times a week and travel time can mount up) with proper busy ATC so you learn the radio and are not scared of bigger airports

Choose a school / club depending on how you feel you get on with the people when you visit all of them! Go round and chat to them, talk to instructors and possibly some other students. If you think that a wise old bird will teach you better than a 150 hour PPL/IMC and CPL who is learning the next step themselves then choose that route. Cabair is essentially a conveyor belt for the airlines so the instructor is only there for his/her course of 2 years experience building. Don't get me wrong, I learnt from a brilliant guy at Cabair who was more than capable and skilled to teach me, he had been there about 3 months and he took me through to IMC level, but is now off flying 757's!

Cabair are expensive, the clubs considerably cheaper but Cabair have better access to different aircraft especially after you get your PPL.

Another thought for helping you learn is to "buddy up" with another student of roughly equal flying experience and on the same time-scale as you - see if your instructor will do three up lessons - you both then get the experience of watching the other through some of the lessons. This is certainly how I did the IMC, it may not be so appropriate for the PPL though, at least not the early stages.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself a PPL!