PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 11th Aug 2010, 10:19
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have (18 months ago) completed a contract in India as TRE/TRI on the B777 where pilots with 175 hrs TT are in the right hand seat of a B777, B744, A320, B73NG.... (Yes: one hundred and seventy five hours total time: going from C152 directly to these aircraft. First twin is/was these aircraft). And, many with 1500 hrs TT, fraudulent hours and fraudulent exam results to go directly into the LHS of these same aircraft. This is WRONG on all accounts through no fault of their own but due the incomprehensible corruption in training and standards - basically criminally negligent in my opinion.

As a result of this unsurmountable corruption and despicable standards I resigned and now am back in the States....

My point? In Oz you need upwards of 2000 hrs TT, 500 hrs (minimum) twin PIC, turboprop time, etc, etc, etc for the right to hopefully interview for an SO position with QF, or FO with DJ, JQ, etc... More realistically around 3-4000 hrs TT.

So, to open your doors to foreign pilots is just plain DUMB.

Recruit the pilots with 500-1000 hrs TT flying in GA. Train them PROPERLY and THOROUGHLY and there is no reason why any shortage cannot be met. Then if need be recruit with fewer hours experience, and so on. If the GA scene needs the pilots then and only out of desperation look outside. Again, LAST resort. There are countless spoilt brats in countries like India screaming from the rafters with a fresh CPL, rallying the government that they shouldn't have to fly "props" as such jet jobs are their birth right and to get rid of the experienced expat pilots. Get those spoilt brats to Oz for the GA scene and I trust they'll learn humility and even become "pilots" unlike the unsafe fools they are now.

I have flown with a few expat Aussies. They are head and shoulders above the standards of many other nations, due to that GA experience.

So, Oz aviation needs pull its head out of its ar$e, realise that while these GA hours are golden, they can be replaced with effective and non-compromising training. Hang on, this may mean bean-counters investing in their pilots and staff. Therein lies the problem.

What more do these money hungry ba$tards need? Pilots are already paying for the endorsement, being bonded, etc!? I know, foreign pilots undercutting the T&C's...... Look at what CX have done with their SO recruitment but for one example!!

Stick together. See what you already have, protect it and I pray you do not let this happen.

Good luck.