PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 08:19
Seldomfitforpurpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Purdey
Some folk will try anything to avoid the facts that without any doubt whatever (as we say) the crew should have turned away from that cloud-covered hill, if in fact the hill top as seen from the flight deck window was cloud covered; and without any doubt whatever, they failed to do so which because there are no survivors, no eye witnesses to the actual crash, no ADR and no CVR we simply cannot say hand on heart exactly why the crash happened. The most plausible, but unconfirmed theory for their failure to turn away is that they misidentified the Fog station compound on the clifftop, thinking it was the Lighthouse compound. This put them about 500 yds to the right of their intended track, which meant (have a look at the map) that the hill in fron of them was around 300-400 ft higher than they expected, and they could not avoid it in the very limited vi=sibility.

Such a failure to act as any reasonable person given the same theoretical corcumstances would do, in this case turning away, is the definition of negligence. However I should note that the set of circumstances above is nothing but conjecture, because like the two AM's I have no concrete evidence to substantiate my claims.

This wil attract a lot of flak, but no convincing counter arguments.
Regards. JP
JP,

With regards to your 5455 no convincing counter argment is actually required to your theory but if read like this it certainly puts a differant spin on things.

Last edited by Seldomfitforpurpose; 11th Aug 2010 at 12:47.