PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air near Fielding 26 July 2010
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 02:18
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was then pointed out that it is quite common to see the 'airline industry' on visual approaches, descend outside controlled airspace. I would have thought that highlighted a potential threat, particularly in NZ's worst piece of airspace for midairs
in no particular order
helicopter vs aircraft at PP
PA38 vs PA38 east of PM
C152 vs C152 FI
PA28 vs PA28 south of PM
CT4 vs CT4 west of OH
A4 vs A4 OH
Hmmm don't see any transport category aircraft in that list...

I stand by all those statements that you highlighted as they are all correct and nobody seems game to refute them. You might be able to point to some isolated incidents, but you certainly can't show me any accidents or loss of life caused by an airline aircraft making a visual approach, probably no incident reports either, or I suspect any evidence at all to support your claims.

This started with me saying "Also, most would be well below profile if they managed to get into uncontrolled airspace on approach (which is why controlled airspace has the dimensions it has). I'm not sure what airport you are thinking of though, so happy to eat humble pie!" All that is quite true. If you have a few miscreants breaking the rules, by all means report them, but the airspace dimensions do not require entry into uncontrolled airspace at any time when on a visual approach, which is all I was saying. Any airline pilot following his company SOPs is highly unlikely to have to do so. So pie-eating is on hold for now.