PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age limit to 70?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 02:07
Gas Bags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the average life expectancy following retirement is approx. 5 yrs. (My understanding only!!!).

I believe a major factor contributing to this is the fact that a large majority of people have minimal interests in life outside of their career.

I also believe that generally a large number of people in Aviation, and particularly Civil Aviation, have even less than the average interests in life outside of their careers. A lot of factors contribute towards this including the following:
  1. The working life in Civil Aviation is very anti-social with regards to hours worked, when they are worked, time off etc.
  2. Largely because of point 1 people in aviation tend to have a social base of others they work with in Aviation.
  3. Because of both points 2, and 3, many people lose touch with what is going on around them with old friends, dont get to make new friends, and generally the career takes over as the major part of life, leaving not much else.
The Police force is very similar in most respects.

So having read the inspiring post by Teresa Green, maybe instead of thinking about working longer and longer, we should be looking at developing interests outside of the career earlier and earlier, so that the transition from working, to retirement, and then maintaining a fullfilling, rewarding life goes way beyond the 5 year average.

Having a successful, challenging, and rewarding career is very important in life, but it is my belief that it is as important to seek fullfilment, and satisfaction, from as many areas as possible in life, other than work.

I have known too many people over the years who consider it extremely important, for their own well being, to be able to say that they worked for 'ABC' airlines for 40+ years, and it is my opinion that this is, in reality, only impressive at the reunion dinners and means very little else to anybody other than yourself, once retired, and does little to contribute to a long, rewarding life following retirement.

That said, if for some people what makes for a fullfilling, rewarding life is to be able to tell people how many years they spent at work, and they are capable of carrying on in the career, then best of luck to them. Most important of all is to make the decision to retire with your family, for yourself and your family, not because of the ideal of another.

I for one would much rather be able to tell people that I retired at a young age, have a single figure golf handicap, go fishing when I like, did 40+ years in retirement, and have the people I am telling it to be from all walks of life, including Aviation.

With a bit of luck I will make the single figure turn to scratch, and be turning my head skywards as a jet airliner disturbs my game, or should I have said disturbs my life!

GB