PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists
Thread: Checklists
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 01:15
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi cjboy, I would be pleased to answer your questions.

Chuck, years ago I was told that stage in the same mnemonic was really

Props - ready for go around

and perhaps that is fully forward in some aircraft POH.
A go around is no different than any other change of flight path such as starting a turn for instance.

If you make the decision to go around the prop/'s can be selected to go around R.P.M. before you apply climb power.

By selecting prop/'s to full RPM before starting the descent or during the descent you not only increase the noise level but you increase piston travel thus increasing wear on the engine for no identifiable advantage to the flight.

I expect there is an SOP covering prop RPM for a go around in a PBY, would you set the props in a certain way before landing ? I would love to fly such an interesting aircraft, I am jealous of you!
For a go around in the PBY we use the following.

(1) Mixtures Auto Rich.

(2) Props to climb R.P.M.

(3) Power to climb power.

During the approach to a landing I leave the props in cruise R.P.M. until the throttles are closed, at which time the pilot not flying pushes the prop levers to full forward.

The PBY is no different than any other piston engine airplane and I use the same method in all piston engine airplanes.

The PBY was one of the best money making airplanes for me and that is why I flew so many hours on them, I have more time on the DC3 than the PBY but the DC3 is no where as interesting a machine to fly.

In fact the DC3 is so easy to fly it is almost idiot proof.