PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did you have to give up?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 23:57
gettin' there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the statement that it should best be done whilst you're single though.
Not neccessarily. The other half just has to be VERY understanding. Before we got serious I told my partner that flying was something that I was going to do, that it would involve spending rediculous sums of money, at one stage i was working three jobs to pay for CPL, not having the social life that our friends were (we'd just left school) and probably me going and living in the middle of no where for a few years.

She didn't run away then and is still around despite the fact that we have spent the last 18 months living in seperate states so we can both pursue our careers. Got married last year and a week later I was back in the NT while she stayed in SYD. We've spent less than four weeks actually together since been married 10 months ago. Friends all reckon we're crazy.

Id be lying if I said that it wasn't tough on both of us and that at times I hadn't thought about giving it away to go back home, but we both know that in the scheme of things a couple of years isn't that long and eventually one of us will land a good job where the other one is. At least I have somone to share it with (even if it is only on the phone) and it is nice to have somone to talk to about non aviation stuff so you can keep things in perspective when you have a crappy day.

I know im really lucky and for a lot of people it would never work but its not impossible. I know of two other guys in similar situations too and they seem to make it work.