PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping the wings level in a stall
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 23:52
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
The point of my question was the technique used to fly the aircraft to demonstrate compliance with the certification requirement (either power on or off) that it be possible approaching and throughout the stall to maintain the wings within 15 degrees of level, with normal use of the controls.

We do it at altitude, 'cause it's safer up there. I agree that there is no good reason to do this in "regular" flying, other than training, or flight test.

CAR 3.120 (c):

....and not more than 15 degrees roll or yaw shall occur when controls are not used for 1 second after pitch starts and are used thereafter only in a normal manner.

During flight testing I have done with other pilots in the past, who have suddenly decided to "help" me with the stall recovery during such demonstrations, I have seen the ball hard over (where I had been carefully keeping it centered) when the other pilot applied a boot full of rudder. This un-nerves me, as being rather close to a speed at which a stall or spin could be expected, the last thing I feel comfortable with is seeing the ball hard over. To me, that is spin entry territory, and a spin is not the objective.

I have reviewed the 22 different flight manuals in my library today. None mention the use of rudder during a stall. A few mention the normal use of ailerons. Many just refer to recovering (with no stated technique), and a couple do not mention stalls at all. The FAA flight test giude requires the "normal" use of controls. I hold the opinion that the use of rudder (without accompanying aileron) to un co-ordinate level flight at any speed would not be normal use of controls.

So with the certification requirements requiring a demonstration of wings level with "normal" use of the controls, what would be the basis of training not to use ailerons during the approach (be it deliberate, or suddenly recognized) to a stall? Is the rudder only technique written somewhere?