PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 7
Thread: Ryanair - 7
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 22:45
Flightrider

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Its business model is of course based on Southwest in the USA
Oh please. If Southwest was a rock star, it would be constantly fighting paternity suits to prove that it has no relationship to the masses claiming to be its offspring.

A few of the key and fundamental differences:

1/ Since day 1, Ryanair has operated its 737s at maximum seating density. Southwest takes two rows out of each aircraft to increase legroom.

2/ Ryanair charges for baggage - many would say unreasonably so given the hike in peak season baggage fees. Southwest is one of the few US carriers *not* to charge for this - with up to two free bags - despite the fact that the legacy carriers have begun to do so.

3/ Southwest accepts unaccompanied minors, cargo, pets, offers senior citizen fares, has a frequent flyer scheme, doesn't whack you with added charges which are several times higher than the initial fare display, manages its boarding process without recourse to customers' elbows....

4/ Southwest has active engagement programmes with its employees...which happens to include union recognition.

Ryanair does what it does, and has a unique Marmite effect - you either love it or hate it. However, if I was Southwest (which I'm not), I'd not be happy that my reputation was being subjected to comparisons with airlines - of which Ryanair is one of many - which bear no resemblance to the product that I provided.