PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - final approach technique: pitch vs power
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 22:25
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is because any angle of approach may be necessary due to the circumstances of the approach be they flap failure,
This partial quote shows a total misunderstanding of the whole "point and power" mindset.

The "point" is not about where you see the nose to be (attitude). It is where the trajectory of the aircraft is taking you and using the controls to make the trajectory end at the desired aiming point. The attitude of the aircraft is something different and in fact if you have trajectory information (like some modern large aircraft) you quickly forget about what the attitude is because what we are always interested in is the aircraft trajectory and the speed.

Most if not all GA aircraft can fly a 3 degree slope on approach with either land flap or zero flap.

Yes the "attitude" will be higher when making the approach with zero flap however the trajectory will be the same and provided that the trajectory continues along the 3 degree slope to the desired aiming point then the point bit has worked.

In other words, the constant point still has to be placed on the desired aiming point using the controls, the aircraft has to be kept in balance, wings level and the power needs to be set so that the required speed is maintained.

I fear that anyone who sees a difference in point and power between an approach with full flap (land flap) and one with zero flap has missed the whole point.

Students who use point and power will automatically make appropriate corrections when flap is extended without even having to explain it to them..........when flap is extended, the constant point moves and they pitch the aircraft to put it back where it should be and they also adjust the power if required in the appropriate direction to counteract any speed change.

That is the simplicity of the whole idea. It is just like driving a car. What is the trajectory and what is the speed. Soon the position of the steering wheel is not something you even think about.

Or in aviation terms - what is the constant point and what is the speed?

How hard is it to draw an X on the windscreen and say keep the aiming point behind that X with your left land, the ball in the middle with your feet and the speed at 70 with your right hand.

Do you have to mention wings level - no because if they are not then (with the ball in the middle) the aiming point will not stay behind the X (cause you are turning!!). They will do it automatically. Do you have to mention attitude - no because if the aiming point is constantly correct and the speed is correct than the attitude must be correct.

If I want to thred a neddle do I worry about attitude, up down left right or do I get the thred and shove it through the little hole?