PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Pilot Job - Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 21:56
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your CPL Good job!

It seems like you did your research before beginning your initial training and came out of it with perhaps less debt than others do. Well done.

I`m presuming you read some of the posts here regarding SSTR, P2F and 6 month contracts? And I also hope you understand what this has done, and is still doing to everybody`s T&Cs? IMO, any job you have to pay money to get, and/or keep, is not a job you want. Guess what the HR department really thinks of their pilots; suckers! I do, however, understand that it feels good to be invited to screening by commercial operators, but don`t let aircraft size or types blind you completely. I also hope you understand that a flying job 9 out of 10 times will translate to a commute. Big city = long drive in heavy traffic. Based far away from home = air travel to get to and from work. Social life and family life gets amputated. I`m not kidding.

I`m not going to rant on about all this, that has been said in many threads here, but maybe give you a piece of advise; go to both screenings and hear what they have to say. They may not even want you, but you`re not getting any job if you don`t meet and greet. Ask them if they are ok with bonding for a rating as you are straight out of flight school with lots of debt. I would especially have a nice talk with the bizjets folks since they might be a bit more round in the edges than the regular beancounters. Ask if they will bond you. Or even better - rate you on their aircraft so you can fly for them and make money for them. I know, it`s a crazy idea, but it was known to have happened some years ago

BTW, welcome to the world of aviation! Keep your eyes peeled in all directions. Backstabbers are everywhere