PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pailton Radio
Thread: Pailton Radio
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 21:03
ground_star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a general rule, the govt seems to care little for dangers of citizens being exposed to EMF radiation etc from military and other 'essential' sources. Pailton Radio Station is (ostensibly) a civil facility and therefore must presumably comply with some sort of recognised safety standard. The ultimate question is: Is living within line-of-sight exposing my family (including young children) or myself to abnormally high levels of radiation (by which I mean more than if I lived in the centre of London, or Leicester etc)?

Most of the "standards" you speak of are worked on \ set by ICNIRP, Google that & you'll find them online. These outline the safe levels of non ionising radiation for humans to be exposed to. Much of their work focuses around safe levels on the actual site for working teams - these levels are safe close to \ directly under the antenna for limited exposure. Take into account that most of these teams are working with & in contact with RF at close quarters day after day & you'll see, they're not that dangerous, despite the silly media hype.

As someone who now works installing & maintaining broadcast transmission sites across the UK, I can safely say that after several years working around RF from a few watts up to hundreds of kilowatts, I haven't gown 2 heads or fried alive yet!

In todays society you are surrounded by RF everywhere you go, radio & TV signals (often in hundreds of kilowatts for TV & national radio networks!), mobile phones, wifi (usually low power), point-to-point microwave links, ATC comms, civi two-way comms etc - tons of stuff basically. Every day you absorb more RF than I think you would imagine, yes these levels will be slightly higher if you live within close quarters of a transmitting station, but what you must remember is that, in free space, RF is safe. Real dangers (even then, we dont fully understand what those are...!) are only present if you are sleeping with an antenna under your pillow & a 500 watt exciter under your bed at night to keep you warm. If you're doing that, probably best get your head checked anyway & I'm not talking for tumors (more the presence of sanity!!)

As ever, Media driven RF hype seems to be scaring people into believing that the RF bogey-man is out to "get" them