PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence: PA28 vs Pipersport
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 17:18
reimomo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbulence: PA28 vs Pipersport

I've been flying a Warrior for the last 5 years and been perfectly happy with it, but in common with many on this board I've been contemplating alternatives to try and mitigate the constant fuel price hikes. The LAA/permit/mogas types appeal to me: I don't really need 4 seats and whilst I have an IMC I'm not hell-bent on keeping the capability.

I'd had an eye on the Pipersport. Nice lines, solid brand, great visibility so I went up for a demo flight. I've very limited type experience, having passed my PPL in a 152 and moved on to a Warrior. Clearly even with my limited knowledge one would expect a lightweight 2-seater to move around more than a Warrior, but I was surprised by the difference. I soon wasn't feeling great, and I'm not normally bothered by a bit of turb. The demo pilot passed this off as a breezy day with plenty of warm thermals at 1000-2000ft. Maybe, but we'd just flown up there in a Warrior and had hardly noticed the weather.

It was a real shame. I loved the idea of the plane, but I couldn't risk taking a friend up in it on a typical summer day without fear of them throwing up. Or me, for that matter.

So my question is:

Is it the case that all lightweight permit types suffer from increased turbulence and one either puts up with it or sticks with a CAA workhorse?

Or is the Pipersport a notorious poor performer in this regard? I'd read somewhere that it's 'wing-loading figure' was a contributory factor. Are there lightweight permit aircraft that are more forgiving? How about the MCR01, a Vans or a Jodel? Is there a wing-loading figure that's quoted in specs which will shed some light on likely buffeting? Or is it simply a case of trying all of them?!

Any advice, anecdotal or otherwise gratefully received.