PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where next for CRM?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 14:22
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While not strictly on the subject of CRM/TEM etc this from a colleague in the training business. He might well be right, too. Remember there are 300 hour pilots operating as second in command of heavy jet transports and whose total real in command time is as low as 75 hours while learning to fly. And most of these on single engine trainers.

"What worries me is the possibility of very low time pilots getting their initial big plane check out on a new high tech airplane like the 777 or 787. Once they get enough hours to upgrade to Captain, they won't move to the left seat on their current high tech airplane, they will have to do their time in the "lesser" airplanes the company is flying while they build seniority. That means you could have a new captain flying a 737 who has never had to compensate for an engine failure at a high power setting and low airspeed. I think the airplane could become unrecoverable before he even had a clue as to what happened, let alone how he could have compensated. I think we can find several examples of similar situations in the aviation accidents over the past several months"