PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 13:19
BFS101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFS and BHD are not the same type of airport, so BHD can't expect to achieve what BFS has. Due to location BHD is curfewed, will not handle wide bodies, will not have a large cargo operation and no late night charters. Therefore I think the comment
If they (FR) open for business in BFS then BCA will get to see what they could have been.
is pretty misguided. They may see a FR operation that BHD management will feel they missed out on, but as mentioned before BHD should focus on their strengths, rather than try and emulate Aldergrove.

Thats called progress, otherwise we would still be leaving the city from a Yellow and grey metal shed, flying in a Jersery European metal shed with wings. What airport management has ever said ' lets give the passengers a modern airport but keep our customers fees in the 70's'
Progress to me, at a city centre airport especially at BHD should not rest with a longer runway to serve, as you put it "sunny beaches". Progress can be better facilities, more user friendly, growing more business orientated routes, with aircraft to match, within the passenger cap of course.

Credit where credit is due, BHD is now an excellent facility and a joy to use. But at an airport that is capacity restricted, progress in my eyes would be to continue to offer a dense domestic network, business orientated European destinations and continue to offer an excellent terminal experience, up to their passenger cap. Not to have the ambience and ease of use, ruined by hoards of "new" passengers, potentially jetting of to Costa Del wherever, or hen do's off to Paris (Beauvais), etc. Progress in my eyes in not simply based on huge passenger explosion based on Ryanair, a longer runway and subsequent removal of the passenger cap.