PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belvedere
Thread: Belvedere
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 12:50
Old-Duffer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
26 or was it 66???

I think one might need to treat Halley's comments in a general rather than precise way and Jefford and J D R Rawlings (Coastal & Support sqns of the RAF) are a little more emphatic that 26 sent its aircraft to Seletar (and probably some personnel as well.

In any event, we're only talking about a single month and the Form 540 for that month will tell all. It's not really important -- it's the photographs that are.

COVENTRY CATHEDRAL:

Incidentally, John Dowling - who could be a difficult cuss at times - was aided and abetted by Jim Martin and Ron Salt, the last named is certainly still with us. JD departed a decade ago, leaving me to deliver a major presentation on the origins of rotary winged aircraft in the RAF, which was really 'his subject' by right - I hope I didn't let him down!

A few years ago, whilst serving with the RAFVR(T), I got into a debate with the then Bishop of Coventry - an avowed pacifist, which he's entitled to be - but I drew the line when he appeared on TV and described Bomber Command aircrew as 'mass murderers'. I challenged him to debate this matter but he told me he had more important things which claimed his time and refused all further contact. I later had cause to criticise the church authorities at Coventry when they refused to allow a service in honour of the Air Training Corps to be held in the cathedral because of their (then) anti-military stance. I responded with photos of the spire and flechette being put on the cathedral roof and reminded them that the military they so despised had topped off their building for them - free of charge. I got no reply!

O-D