PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping the wings level in a stall
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 09:52
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2ps worth...

Keeping the wings level in a stall
Why do you want to? Is that really important / a priority?

2 priorities are:
1. Unstall the wings - only now do you have "control" of the aircraft.
2. Minimum Ht loss in the whole stall / unstall / climb cycle.

1 is achieved by reducing the AoA. Not "pushing" the stick, but relaxing back pressure / easing it (centrally) forward until the wing is unstalled and no more. The moment the wing is unstalled, you have ailerons to level the wings.

2 is achieved by:
a. Only lowering the AoA until the wing is unstalled, and not "shoving" the stick forward.
b. Power
c. A prompt ease out of "dive" and into a climbing attitude (without further stalling the aircraft).

Clearly some teaching / types concentrate on the rudder - fine, if that is on good authority (in authorised manuals) - but I cannot recall seeing it on types I fly.

The aim is a simple repeatable drill that is being practiced for a stressful / hazardous situation. Rudder in the stall might work for a TP, but can also provoke a spin if used incorrectly, so IMHO not a good tactic. A prompt reduction in AoA as priority #1 will minimise any wing drop...

As a (Q)FI on various types (SEP, Jet) the usual technique errors I observe / debrief / re-practice on are excessive stick forward / nose down attitude, and then far from optimal transition back to a climb e.g. lose more height / eventually climbing 10K+ above what could be achieved.

NoD