PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Recommendation re Airbus Rudder Travel Limits
Old 10th Aug 2010, 06:40
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following is a discussion about AA's well received AAMP - American Airlines Advanced Aircraft Maneuvering Program.

"I am very concerned that one aspect of the course is inaccurate and potentially hazardous," Tribout wrote. His concern: Pilots were being taught that the rudder should be used to control a plane's rolling motion
kbrockman - The only time AA's training program suggested the use of the rudder during unusual attitude recovery was when the ailerons/spoilers were not responsive.

From AA's response:

Use of Rudder

Let me say this one more time, we do not advocate the introduction of large sideslip angles when flying at a high angle of attack. You seem to be predisposed to the belief that we are using rudder first or rudder only. The workbook is not a stand-alone document and nothing should be inferred without listening carefully to the presentation.

In four different sections of the AAMP, emphasis is focused on the fact that when the airplane is not responding to aileron and spoiler control, you should use smooth application of coordinated rudder to obtain the desired roll response. Additionally, let me re-emphasize that AAMP stresses keeping the airplane inside of the flight envelope at all times regardless of attitude. Our pilots are taught to always "respect" the stick shaker.