PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did you have to give up?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 03:41
Ipecac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a large one. With that in mind if your dreams of flying include sitting on a fat captains salary then keep dreaming. The hours are long, the pay is absymal and it plays havok with your social life.

After getting my PPL in NZ I left my job to train full time. Got a CPL, a MEIR and an instructor rating and a sizeable loan to boot. In just over two years I have gone through five different jobs in five different cities. I've been fired for asking for minimum wage, made redundant twice and had to leave my last job because (even with a second job) I couldn't afford the cost of living (if I can find a way of not having to pay rent or feed myself I'll be golden ). And somewhere in amongst all that, flying also cost me my wife and is affecting my relationship with my son.

At present I'm still looking for another flying job and I'm hoping that this time it'll last more than 6 months. Would I do it all again?....

You bet I would! Being a commercial pilot is a lifestyle, not a career (for me atleast) and I can't see myself doing anything else.

Ipecac