PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 03:23
engfireleft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ACPA (with the approval of the majority of the membership) is trying to do is to continue to reward those who respect their part of the deal and leave at 60 (and not affecting/delaying the junior pilots ''normal'' career progression.
Those who want to fly untill they died will not be able to enjoy that benefit (SERP/Tophat).
There will be no discrimination due to age but an option for individual to chose.
This is the kind of thinking that ACPA's using to sink us deeper and deeper into the quagmire they've created for us.

A reward (or incentive if you prefer) is something you give to someone that they didn't have before. An example that fits here is permitting someone to retire earlier than normal with no penalty, commonly used to prevent layoffs. Accepting that reward or not is entirely up to the individual, and not accepting it does not harm them in any way.

A penalty (or disincentive if you prefer) is when you take something away from someone that they already have. An example that fits here is denying pilots some benefit that they currently recieve along with everyone else, like pension benefits or seniority rights for example.

When you target a specific group over a certain age for this kind of penalty, that is called age discrimination.

ACPA and our pilot group will learn this distinction one way or the other.

A330pilotcanada:

In every legal dispute there are two sides or points of view, each with lawyers arguing that point of view. Only one side wins. In this issue ACPA is 180 degrees out from society and government which you know if you've been paying any attention at all. Almost a year ago the CHRT told ACPA in very specific terms how wrong they were consistent with Canadian attitudes toward mandatory retirement and age discrimination. There are several other procedings and complaints against ACPA now that are a direct result of ACPA's refusal to accept anything but their own interpretation.

Will you admit that ACPA was wrong when they get the hammer thrown at them, or will you continue to blame society and the individuals defending their (and your) right to not be discriminated against?

Also, thank you for the advice on life planning after I stop working. It seems you make the mistake a lot of others do thinking that people who wish to continue working past age 60 have no life outside of work. You will no doubt be relieved to know you're wrong.

ps. It wasn't me who mused about splitting myself from ACPA to avoid paying the price. I unfortunately know that we cannot do that, which is why I am trying so hard to get people to start using their head to make decisions instead of petty anger.