PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did you have to give up?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 02:57
Nadsy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like most of you, I wanted to be a pilot since I was 3. For many reasons, I didn't start till I was 27, but when I had the choice to have a crack at it, I chose (quite rightly pointed out by Jack Ranga) to leave behind a few things:
- Small IT company;
- Small fishing boat;
- Big sports bike;
- Small fiance (I'd be lying if I didn't mention this was mildly mutual);
- Many hobbies (Camping, Scuba Diving, Travel, Fishing).

Up to PPL level, I did it as a weekend warrior, but didn't like the lack of consolidation, and so for my CPL, FIR and ME-CIR I saved up, took time off from an IT Contract position each time and did it in a block.

The IT work funds the passion, but then you've got a foot in each industry, and it's hard to give up the cash... especially when the wife (and 2 y.o.) remind you that the $32K spent last year on flying could have been for a house deposit. At least they haven't left me yet! That's until I let them know which outback town we're moving to to build some hours!

It sometimes does get tough, and there are times when I think 'why am I doing this' (It's the hardest I've ever had to work)... but it only takes getting in the air (albeit for $714/hr in a C310), for all those thoughts to go away...
And you know what...? Perhaps with a few minor changes, I'd do it all again. I don't think many are in this game without a love and passion for it... There are not too many other reasons!