PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did you have to give up?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 01:07
Art of Flying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great topic Homesick Angel.

It is refreshing to read about the passion and the difficult decisions that need to be made upon entering Aviation. I am also currently a wannabe career changer (not from IT) and the journey has thus far has taken two years and the CPL seems no closer. However, I will not lose sight of the goal and the attraction of this industry for me are the constant challenges and the learning which is infinite. The reward of self improvement is worth the cost we are all ultimately willing to pay.

I am turning away from a rewarding career which involves travel to all parts of Australia and beyond, and perhaps replacing it with another career which involves a vast amount of travel, just not three months away from loved ones. Up the frequency but reduce the duration I say. With reference to friends suggesting that you are crazy, it is not them living your life and I am from a crazy industry in the world of entertainment.

I give up time to make things happen and that is hard work. I have discovered that if you do not regularly make the time, rust sets in and your skills both at the controls and mind processing do suffer.

Fortunately my wife is fully supportive of this endeavor (plus no kids!) and from what I have read lurking around PPRuNe, that the support of your loved ones can make or break the decision that we have made.

The finances are a reality of Aviation, therefore research of your FTO's is crucial to decipher $hite from Chanel. I am giving up opportunities to invest in more tangible assets, however, I am investing in my own life experience which will ultimately lead to a new career. It is up to the individual on how to calculate the Return on Investment.

At the end of the day, the skill set gained IMO worth what I am giving up as I am being genuine to myself (maybe selfish) and I will not look back in 10 years time with regret as to what might have been.

I fear that I would be giving up more if the opportunity passed me by.

AoF