PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 21:28
a330pilotcanada

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Afternoon Engine Fire Left.

What I find interesting with your posts are the legal issues that you have raised. I am a board member of a charitable organization and at every board meeting we have our lawyer sits in and advises the board on whether the direction we are taking is legal.

That being said do you not think that A.C.P.A. does not actively engage their legal experts when ever there is a new issue? I would think that they are working hard to represent the union in not only a legal way but one that is honest. To parallel something from the airline history if you remember Mr Milton was criticized by sitting on the sidelines while Mr Schwartz of ONEX was travelling cross-country telling the country that his plan would save the airlines. After careful planning Mr Milton and company thwarted his plans by staying in the background and doing their homework there by winning the game.

That being said yes there is a legal process under way which will determine the age 60 is discrimination or that a group of professionals can determine their collective future. The outcome which the courts will decide is whether collective bargaining decided by a majority is legal or the CHRT will have the day.

So where does this go next will a observant Orthodox Jew claim discrimination because of the requirement to observe Shabbat prohibits him or her working from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday? Alternatively, a devout Muslim claiming discrimination by being forced to serve alcohol or an unsafe food?

There are many other issues that you can look at but the one that is relevant is the age 60 one. To use an analogy we are on the space shuttle the solids are lit and that my friend is V1! So we should all take a deep breath walk to the fridge like I am going to do and have a very cold beer as we await the legal outcome in the late fall.

You mentioned previously about leaving the membership because you might be sued. I would talk to an "impartial" legal expert and I am sure you will find out is when you "cut yourself from the herd" you will make yourself a larger target as opposed to being in the herd. In other words you will find out when you are sued is when the writ is delivered to you and everything else is rhetoric.

Oh I forgot something to add from a personal perspective retirement is great and my only complaint so far is that there is not enough time in the day.

Just enjoy your career but make sure you develop outside interests early, never allow your persona be defined by what you put on when you go to work and remember there are only two things in life that are important your health and your family everything else is chump change my friend!

Oh yes that beer..................