PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 18:01
just an observer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA's decision to remove staff travel perks gave rise to page upon page of posts about the alleged human rights breach of such action, not to mention threats of legal action under human rights legislation to reassert the fundamental human right of airline staff to a cheap holiday in the Caribbean.
I am no apologist for BASSA, believe me, but I wish this somewhat flippant reference to the human rights legal bid re loss of staff travel would stop being perpetuated.

The Human Rights legislation being invoked is not anything to do with rights to holiday flights, but is to do with the human right to have a legally balloted strike without suffering the withdrawal of perks (any perks, or for that matter, any kind of punishment) enjoyed by the rest of the employer's (any employer) staff.

If it goes unchallenged, or is confirmed as acceptable, any employer can then act against any strikers in a similar way in the future, however genuine their employees grievance may be.

Certainly I can see BA invoking it any time any further unrest arises, and they (BA) may not always be the 'good guys'.