PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Deauville from White Waltham
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 16:39
BEagle

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Ensure that you have all relevant paperwork both for yourself and the aeroplane. It is said that the French can be rather zealous with 'ramp checks', but if you've been to France before, you probably know that. I haven't been to Deauville for some years now, but it was always a friendly airport.

Don't forget the time zone change!

We found the French 'Miniterms' rather a sod to use, so always filed the return flight plan in advance from the UK when visiting Deauville.

But as for more important matters, either Honfleur or Trouville-sur-Mer had some nice eateries which didn't break the bank (we are talking about France, after all!). Either are about 15 min by taxi from the airport; one chum of mine used to have a 'tame' taxi driver who would be waiting as he landed and wouldn't rip him off.

I once had a calvados sorbet of industrial strength at the Restaurant La Marine in Trouville, but I think that Honfleur is nicer. And there are 100 restaurants in Honfleur; it is sometimes described as the prettiest town along the Calvados Coast:

Assuming the Navy weren't splashing about in the Channel Danger Areas (you must check before you go!), I used to route from Goodwood direct to the FIR boundary at N5000W00015 to Deauville - creating a GPS user waypoint at N5000W00015 will make it much easier to pass boundary ETA times to the FIS agencies. But it's about 90 nm of water from Bognor to the French coast....so make sure that your wife realises that there are no loos in light aircraft!

Rules have changed since I last flew to France, so make sure you've checked up on the latest requirements for ELTs etc. Dinghy and life preservers?

Have fun and enjoy!!