PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 15:07
JayPee28bpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oggers/Hipennine

The whole outing thing is laughable, other than the distress caused to the individual concerened which I would not wish to belittle.

BA's decision to remove staff travel perks gave rise to page upon page of posts about the alleged human rights breach of such action, not to mention threats of legal action under human rights legislation to reassert the fundamental human right of airline staff to a cheap holiday in the Caribbean. Holley's outing has resulted in a quite deafening silence in respect of the similar protections he has breached that were owed to the person outed. I would suggest Unite's approach to such matters is inversely proportional to the hurt suffered, ie something superficial such as cheap holidays attracts howls of outrage, something that matters such as controls over the maintenance of confidential personal data is simply ignored.

Holley has almost certainly broken data protection laws, and the person concerned will probably have grounds for complaint to the Information Commissioner. I think that would be worth going for. There is so much anecdotal evidence of Unite's poor control of data that there would have to be a good chance that the IC would find fault with more than just Holley's inappropriate use of personal data in this particular case.

However, the most amusing aspect of this issue is that it may well breach the, admittedly very limited, rights to privacy contained in the Human Rights Act and ECoHR. I seem to have missed the howls of outrage at these breaches from the BASSA faithful. Perhaps they're too busy lobbying Parliament over them, or demonstrating outside Unite's HQ shouting "Holley, Holley, Holley, Out, Out, Out!!!" to have posted any. Or maybe not. Seriously, a consistent approach to such matters would suggest that Unite should now take legal advice on suing itself!!!