PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NJE calling back pilots?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 13:26
northern boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose thats the whole point of the union, to stop the same mistakes being repeated.
That will not be much comfort to the JS/LTLOA crew who sacrificed 40% of salary in order to be ring fenced from redundancy and then find themselves out on the street because the union has insisted that the whole thing be ignored.

Are you speaking for the union in this matter or is this a personal viewpoint?
I'm not trying to be provocative, I want the facts. If dispensing with the ringfencing agreement is official union policy then why on earth would anyone who is on one of the schemes want anything to do with it? And in what way would my belief that the union is the senior crew ganging together against the junior in any way incorrect?

I hope to god that all this sparring turns out to be theoretical and that no further cuts are planned because if they are, the flight crew will be split right down the middle. I cannot really envisage the junior crew fighting for the right to be made redundant.

Would it fill you with confidence, as a JS who was saved, if non-ring fenced people were 'let go' and that when you are the senior guy and the company finds itself believing its own hype and over crewed by a third and your personal outgoings (suited to being a captain) are such that you can not afford to take a pay cut, so you dont, and then you find all the new arrivals taking an option and the story turns full circle
Those who chose not to take an option knew full well that in the event of further cuts they would be vulnerable. Senior crew seeking to change the rules to suit the weather does not sit well with those who have been struggling on reduced salary.

If it happens again? Probably will, the industry is cyclic and all the unions in the world cannot change that.