PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 9th Aug 2010, 11:06
poina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The arguments here about "flying the airplane", "button pushing", makes me wonder if people are flying full glass aircraft.
All nav info and freqs are accessed through the FMC. It's not available to do setup without said FMC as there are no damn knobs. So this idea of "all data is on the charts" doesn't mean sh@t if the only way to get info is through the FMC.
If runway is changed, I still need to 'button push" to get nav info, unless I'm a crusty old fart that really knows how to "hand fly". That is Old Iron mentality that works in old a/c.
So after you saved the day and and flew the visual to the parallel runway, now you GA and are expected to fly published MA. How's the nav setup? oh yeah, have to get it thru the FMC, so better get vector as I'm a dumbass and planned on landing.
I flew the old ones with knobs and flt eng and the new ones without either and planning is critical on these. Proper use of FMC sec flt plan will help as will briefing well prior to TOD, both of which are too often neglected.
Like it or not, modern day glass a/c require full knowledge of FMC and it's proper use.