PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 10:17
stansdead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Grail?

It's not a holy grail. That's for sure.

If you're happy with permanent long haul and can stay awake a LOT at night, then this is the job for you.

As an FO, you can expect a LONG, LONG, LONG wait for Command. A significant number never make it.

If you joined 15 years ago, you're laughing. You are probably 45ish and a Captain. Happy days....

....If you joined in the last 8 to 10 years, it's still a good job, but one that offeres little professional encouragement as an FO. I got the feeling that from a company level (and SOME trainers) that you are no more than a legal requirement. Most, if not all, line Captains are good guys.

I was only there 2 1/2 years. I had a lot happen in those 2 1/2 years in my life and I felt I really needed a change.

I got offered a DEC A320 job (never held a Command before) and I have really enjoyed the freedom that Command brings. I am 18 months into that, and have just been offered a Management job in my new airline. The airline sure ain't Virgin, but it has (and continues to ) offered me opportunities that I would have likely not seen at Virgin for 15 to 20 years.

I took voluntary redundancy last year. Got about 40K GBP. Kept it, invested well (luck) and have just bought a French Ski apartment. I can only thank Virgin for their generosity in paying me off. I wish them well!!

If they ring me at the end of this debacle and offer me a job at the bottom of the list would I go back? I don't know. I've scratched the Command itch and doubtless I would be a much more capable long haul FO for them. Never say never, but at least I know the score there.

In essence, it's not a holy grail, but it's definitely in the Churchyard, if not quite on the Altar.