PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 09:59
ChicoG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't you say that making sustained losses of several hundred million was enough reason to argue that the market has changed and requires new T&C's?
It doesn't matter what I would say. What matters is that BA would have to prove in a court of law that it was not down to a global financial meltdown, so no, it isn't. Probably one reason why they haven't done it. Even if they sack all their cabin crew, they are not allowed to re-hire them within a year, I believe. How do they run an airline in the meantime (I could be wrong on that, but I believe that is the case; I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

As the thread title is "BA Strike - Your Thoughts and Questions", I thought that this was a legitimate subject.

Perhaps the thread should be retitled "The bash BASSA thread."
It is a perfectly legitimate subject, and you keep bringing it up, but every time I ask you to give an example of an action BA management took that has extended this dispute unnecessarily, you have avoided answering.

So by all means contribute to the debate by offering an opposing viewpoint, but it doesn't really offer much to sit there saying something vague like "For the sake of balance, BA must be doing something wrong" and then sitting back and complaining because few seem to agree with you.

I'll ask again. What do you think BA management has done wrong, and so as to keep it within a reasonable scope, let's say since January 2009 when they told BASSA they needed to make changes, since that effectively covers the period of this dispute.

I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you.

Again, I am not anti-union. Unions are wonderful things if run properly, and used for the benefit of all stakeholders.

Added: a paragraph on SOSR:

...employers should remember that establishing a potentially fair reason for dismissal is only half the battle. It must also be shown that a dismissal was procedurally fair in accordance with Section 98(4) ERA. When undertaking a business reorganisation or seeking to amend the terms of an employment contract, an employer should undertake appropriate consultation with the affected employee to ensure that all possible alternatives have been explored. Then, of course, there is still the matter of complying with the statutory disciplinary and dismissal procedure.
I think the general interpretation is that SOSR can only be used when none of the other 5 reasons apply, and therefore BA can ONLY use it as a last resort.

Last edited by ChicoG; 9th Aug 2010 at 10:10. Reason: Boy is my typing crap today.