PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 07:00
Lotpax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please note before flaming me that I am not a supporter of unions and BASSA has handled this industrial action very poorly, in my opinion.

In the interests of balance, I would like to point out that over 10% of the BA workforce went on strike in the last round and that this is a very large minority of staff, if Duncan Holley is capable of mass hypnotization on this scale, I am sure that he will not be short of interestng and lucrative job offers in the future.

It seems now that things will likely drift into an uneasy stalemate, where dissatisfied strikers will work alongside folks who backed BA and new hires on a different contractual arangement.

The use of the word 'Vietnam', whilst repugnant to many (me included), probably describes pretty well what is might be like in the future as crew members are unsure whether their co-workers are on their side or the other and the passengers will be likely to experience service varying from the very good to the lacklustre and this is unlikely to polish BA's tarnished reputation much.

No, it takes two to tango and I don't see either party as having done a stellar job of resolving this dispute.

I'm also still interested in reasons why BA did not take the Aer Lingus approach to reducing staffing costs.