PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age limit to 70?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 04:44
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well said CC.

I recall info from safety articles and even the US Airmans Info manual that I read yrs ago that younger pilots I spoke to here several yrs ago didnt have a clue about.
Some of it basic info like wake turbulence, how to avoid it etc. They were operating small turboprops (<5700kg) alongside jet transports of all sizes at Perth.
Sorry to say for all the theory taught in ATPL schools now, there is still a frightening lack of basic knowledge out there among the younger "hotshots".

I am hardly ancient but I remember the old saying about simple and compound ignorance.
Simple ignorance is not knowing something, compound ignorance is not knowing that you dont know something (or that it even exists).

The former means you can go and find out and look it up or refresh your memory, the latter is far more insidious and dangerous as you may suddenly realize something you know nothing about does exist just as it is about to bite you in the ass.
Maybe the new generation needs to remember the old pilots and bold pilots phrase too.