PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-PGW PA-31P-350 15 June 2010 Crash Investigation
Old 9th Aug 2010, 02:29
Les Norton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like bushy, I am also aware of the 210 crash in Central Australia. The story I was told was that the pilot misfueled the aircraft from drum stock while doing a mail run. The engine started running rough almost immediately on starting. The pilot shut down and phoned the engineers who advised remaining where he was but he thought he would travel another sector (for what reason I have no idea). The engine seized (I think) forcing a landing into scrub
The aircraft flew on for another seven or eight stops after refuelling at Baikal. The pilot was advised that if he was not happy to stop, however he elected to continue. The engine completely failed shortly after departure from Utopia and unfortunately he pulled-up around 5 or so miles to the south of there after (it would appear) turning around to head back. The engine aparently did not show any real power loss until a couple of stops later after a tank change, that was when he rang engineering.