PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 8th Aug 2010, 20:16
MrSandman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't take it, don't apply. Now this is the crux of the thing. Lets me start by saying that ATC is the bees shiznizzle. It is a great gig. If you can go to work and ignore/tolerate the kinds of things that have been mentioned in this extreme hijack of the thread, you will be fine. You may find things will grate on you. Read everything in these pages. Not that I went back over the last 1000 posts in it (1018 at last count) but I don't recall there being anything added by current or ex controllers that is not factual. Assess these things and be prepared. There are some great people at most levels within AsA from the sectors and up. Some are not so great, like anywhere really. I think that everything comes down to two issues and one reality.

The issues are inconsistent application of decisions and an employer that will change definitions purely to suit their desired outcome. A prime example of the latter is when the definition of Team was interpreted by the Industrial department as a group of people that usually work together and if you usually work solo, you are a team of one. This had some very real outcomes with respect to roster design and hours that I wont bore you with but that is far from what the original intent was and needless to say, the outcome was bad for the staff.

The reality I mentioned is that there is only one ATC employer in OZ. All of your eggs are in that basket and when you are bonded, it is very expensive to get out of. You can't just kick it in and start working next door for the competition. Rose coloured glasses will fade eventually. It took mine nearly 15 years but they faded. Thankfully I get to play ATC in a whole other Sandpit... literally