PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Sumburgh - End Of An Era
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2010, 19:20
Bob Griffiths

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Ancient History

My son Shaun directed me to this forum by asking if I had flown the S61N on the TV search and rescue program (BDIJ). A quick look at my logbook revealed well over 100 hours between 1976 and 1986 and we were doing SAR flights with IJ long before it took on its present title. Natural curiosity forced me to read on revealing such details as dear old Gordon Mitchell who took over from me as Chief Pilot. He must positively squirm at that reference to Mahatma Coat but I will spare him further embarassment by not revealing the day that 'epithet' was born. It was a pleasure to revisit so many memories of people and places I knew through the 11 years I spent there. My apologies to the young gentleman who would consign us oldies to the bin in favour of more pictures (leaves himself wide open there. When he gets to our age, he will welcome past memories so if anyone wants any info on the Sumburgh operation between 1974 and 1988, I may be able to help. I wonder if my hotel in Quendale is still standing?