PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FR414 PIK-STN/ Thunderstorms
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2002, 14:05
Capt.KAOS

As a pax I've landed twice in a rolling thunderstorm during my 30 years of flying. There have been other possible close encounters, but (mostly US captains) informed us about a deviation or hold (both in the air or on the ground at the point of origin).

First one during a short (Austrian Airlines) flight from FRA to GRZ in Februari 1996. Apx 30 mins before landing in GRZ at 22.10PM we entered very heavy weather, lighting all around the a/c followed almost immediately by thunderclap meaning we were stirring right in the middle of the sh*t. Flight was very uncomfortable and can be compared with a run in the Python roller coaster. Landing as such was no problem, but most pax were rather pale around the nose and I can assure the cause was not the airline food....

Second one during a (SIA) flight from KUL to SIN in 1999. Weather started fabulous in KUL but just 15 mins before landing at SIN deteriorated into a heavy thunderdstorm. At a certain moment it was pitch dark, like flying in the night although 15.00hr and lightning all around with thunderclaps very audible in the plane. Ride was not as bad as the above, still moderate turbulence. Again landing no problem.

Yes, I know we landed safely, but all of the pax were very worried and ask myself is this standard procedure?

Capt.KAOS