PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Recommendation re Airbus Rudder Travel Limits
Old 8th Aug 2010, 16:59
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beagle, the pilot was not stupidly aggressive. He was taught to use rudder inputs as part of upset recovery (questionable training I know). What he probably didn't know (while doing this) was there was no way to control the amount of rudder deflection he could input. At that airspeed, the rudder travel limiting system provided either full deflection or no deflection. So the "aggressiveness" you mention is part of the design flaw of the rudder travel limiter, not the fault of the pilot. Full rudder deflections just added to the upset, which the pilot continued to try and correct. This is the PIO situation NTSB is trying to address.

What you don't seem to want to accept, is there is a design flaw here the NTSB wants corrected. If this fault were absent, I doubt this accident would have occurred, even with the questionable training. I don't think properly modulated rudder inputs would have overloaded the vertical stab, or added to an upset that seemed (to the pilot) to require additional rudder inputs.