PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto throttle & RA's
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2010, 14:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto throttle & RA's

I seek opinions. On B733 in late 90's the QRH RA response was "disconnet A/P and follow pitch guidance..." On NG's the QRH instructions include disconnect A/T & A/P. I asked a Boeing pilot why the inclusion of A/T? It introduces a threat to speed control. I've seen it many times in the sim, and at lowish levels, where crews get a CLB RA and do not add enough thrust; get a CLB RA and go to full power and >2000fpm V/S; get a DESC RA and forget to add power once CLR of Conflict climbing back to assigned level. Imagine the mess you could get into at high levels.
The answer from Boeing was that they'd decided to standardise their philosopy of manual flight manual thrust. He was not immediately sympathetic to the thought that this was a threat to safe speed and V/S control. IMHO It is a high stress situation easiest handled by 2 hands on the control column for accurate pitch control and let A/T look after speed. He said he'd pass on the comment, but nothing heard yet.
What thoughts do you all have, and what are procedures on other models and types? Has the RA QRH procedure for B737 classic been changed to match NG's? Has any company decided to keep the old procedure?