PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 8th Aug 2010, 12:22
Hector Vector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wibblesteem.

Many BA crew are not at all worried about crewing levels apart from the fact that imposition breaks collective agreements. For all I care, and this is my personal view, Walsh can take crewing levels on the 744 down to 11, but the service to passengers will be reduced by a commensurate level. There is a finite balance between safety, service to the passengers and what BA is prepared to pay for its crew. Of course the biggest savings Walsh is likely to make, is when he attacks the pay and T&C's of his Flight Crew.

Two trips ago I made decisions based on my 30 plus years experience, that saved BA at least £60,000. Another inexperienced CSD would have done something completely different. It was an innovative solution. Obviously I am not prepared to go into detail.

If British Airways wants to get rid of its experienced crew and replace us with Fast Tracked "talented crew" with more ambition than ability, then so be it. BA will get what it deserves. In the long run it will cost them far more. At the moment many 'premium' passengers fly BA because of its cabin crew. When the cabin crew have been dumbed down, then BA will have to invest heavily on keeping its aircraft cleaner inside the cabins, and will have to fit interiors to compete with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar and Singapore, and have a reliable up to date IFE.

BA management will look back in ten years time and say:"why did we listen to that fool"?