PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Cessna Clips House in Melbourne
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2010, 10:47
flyboy_nz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In both of the midairs that RVAC have been involved in, their PA28s had instructors on board and their flying was "training related" rather than weekend warriors out on their own.
One was a PA28, the other a C152. The PA28 was dual. The C152, 2nd solo student. PA28 had slowed down to follow slower aircraft in front in the downwind leg. C152 had just conducted a missed approach and informed the tower. Tower was busy looking after an aircraft on the ground who was unfamiliar with the airport so did not give C152 any traffic info. Circuits were being conducted on 31L. Both Instructor and student in the PA28 got occupied with traffic that they were following. Student in the PA28 saw C152 and turned right straight away but it was too late. Both a/c clipped each other and entered a spin. If you notice the pics of the c152, the damaged wing aileron was jammed in a deflected position. 2nd solo student, therefore had not receieved spin training yet and due to the jammed aileron had no chance of recovering. PA28 instructor had an aerobatic rating and used the rocking technique to recover from the spin as the usual opposite rudder with a push forward wasn't working. Eventually, the aircraft stopped spinning at 500' and the instructor recovered and landed from there. The elevator was damaged, and the aircraft was flown at 65kts at full power to maintain the speed. How do I know all this? I had the chance to meet the instructor during an aerobatics comp and ask him what really happened, instead of making speculations.

When KKW ran out of fuel and played 9 holes it had an instructor on board.
KKW had 45mins reserve left on board when it landed in the golf course. The problem was caused due to AOB being too steep. The incorrect fuel dipstick was a part of the chain of events.

All initial instructor rating flight tests are conducted by CASA testing officers. If the training was not up to par, I am sure these instructors didn't find their licence to train in Breakfast Cereal Boxes.