PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up with this career
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2010, 09:22
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that one can`t really blame newcomers to the industry for having to either do a SSTR or, even worse, a P2F route. They are entering a industry that has been molded by beancounters, locos, and pilots who have set this all-time low standard for being hired. I`m sure that no-one in their right mind wants to pay for training, or hours, to fly commercially. The downfall after 9/11 played a huge role in this, then came the locos with RYR at the head position offering jobs to 300 hour pilots as long as they paid for everything through them. And when things finally started looking a bit brighter, you know, the light at the end of the tunnel, then BOOM!!! we have a full fledged economic crisis on our hands due to loans and debts and such. So you can`t really blame one person, or a seemingly group of people who almost have no other option for a career, especially when they get played against each other from flight schools and TRTOs from the beginning. The industry is and it`s not getting any better. P2F is becoming the norm. MPL is deemed safe and proper. More liberal FTLs. Less pay. 6 month contracts. And, unfortunately, there is absolutely no media-emphasis on this because, hey, pilots live a glamorous life. No? The way things are now, and have been for awhile, would make you think that nobody with half a brain would even dream about getting into commercial flying! I`m hoping that one day there will be laws agains SSTRs, P2F and banning of MPL licensing. And proper wages, and maybe being able to have a lifestyle somewhere between the 70s and 80s, and where we are today. But I`m afraid it will be at the cost of an accident.