PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help Needed: Going to USA for CPL+CFI (3 rating)
Old 8th Aug 2010, 08:37
coolboy007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Shanx,
Thanks a lot for taking out so much time and replying to each and every query of mine in detail. Now let me answer you :

The biggest risk you'd be taking in your life is when you finally decide to become a commerical pilot.
After that pretty much anything and everything you choose to do, or follow, is another risk.
Its indeed a sad fact but am taking a very big risk with my parent's investment, dont why am so desperate in getting into anything related to planes, maybe the childhood dream is kicking in here, am even ready to work as a CFI for 3-4 years.

Well, the last couple of years, the job opportunity was zero not just for those with a CPL and 200 hours, but for several thousands of pilots across the globe with thousands of hours including multi- turbine time.
Thats why I had mentioned earlier, it is all about timing
Agree to that. A pilot myself told me that 3 years back every tom n harry got a job with airlines, the airlines grabbed them when they were just trainees.

Our future depends on timing+luck is all i can gather now.

While it is true that you can "work" in the USA under the guise of an "Internship" program, you are best advised to be wary of guarantees given by flight schools or for that matter any outfit in General Aviation
Even i asked that instructor in Miami the same question. How the hell do i believe them and put 12000$ more for this guarantee thing but all they said is you have to believe and i see no other way out, one more risk.

With the $500 hours that you earn every month, you might be able to purchase at the most 2 hours of Multi Engine time per month. I know a few people in USA who are struggling to even find some place to build time by working for free as instructors, hence it is surprising to find some school offering a "paid internship" program right now
They said that the amount i earn as an instructor flying as low as 2 hours a day for 20 days can be used to gain multi engine flight hours but if i dont get even those 2 hours then it would be a misery , countless no. of risks now.

As a rule of thumb : Stay away from schools which have Indians as owners or which have "Indian branch offices" or "Official Indian representatives". They are just "pimps" or "dallas" to fool prospective students
Well this school's owner isnt an Indian and the office i went to yesterday isnt their own office. Its sort of broker their in Miami for students, the same guy opened it up here also. What inferences do i get?

Regarding type rating, i have made a decision to not to burn 12-15 lakh again on a type rating of any plane. My view is not in favour of it.

Enroll in a degree program offered by a University (Like Embry Riddle for ex) you'll be on an F1 visa which is valid for 4 years and the visa also allows you to work part time
This is a new package i got from this particular guy who is 55 years old, has 25000 hours of experience, flies for leisure and associated to Dean Intl and has a lot of name there and knows Hindi

He told me that i have only 2 options :
1. Go for the CPL+CFI package and work as a trainee there, he was reassuring me that i would get work there for sure but words can be twisted later.

2.New options- Spend even more money - 70000$ (my dad is
shocked) for a 3 year course there.
1st year - do a CPL+CFI

2nd year- Get aviation management degree or something. I need to talk to him and get clear on this. I get F-1 visa for it under which i can work 20hours/week. Even if i dont get a job in same school, i can apply somewhere else though he said if you are a brilliant student with clean record theres no reason why we wont take you.

3rd year - Earn 25000-30000 $ back working as a CFI with us+ the flying hours experience would be boosted to 1000-2000 hours with some multi engine too.

If we get a 5 year visa, can we work for only 3 or can we work for the additional 2 years left too?

Am royally confused and screwed with all this info. Basic CPL is not what am interested in, some say jobs are coming but am thinking of doing atleast something different from 4000 guys. What if i keep studying there and all job opportunities get lost here.

That guy told me that fees is anyways paid in installments, if i get a job in India, i can leave the degree part and go back for my job.
Am having sleepless nights these days, wondering why the hell i chose this line and why couldnt i divert to something else after 12th.