PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up with this career
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 16:02
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sympathise with anybody who finds their job unpleasant or feels trapped due to their personal circumstances. Whether you're flying for a living or working as an estate agent, if you don't get up in the morning with any enthusiasm for your job you have got to reevaluate your life. You only live once.

I was incredibly lucky to be able to make a career change, ironically, into aviation from what others would perceive as a safe and well paid career. I could only make that leap because of a very supportive wife and the financial security that comes from that earlier career. It wasn't Daddy's money that paid for me to get the RHS of a jet. It was my money. And I'm not 20, I'm in my thirties!

That said, I do think the locos have played a huge part in ruining terms and conditions for the industry. In some cases, it's about time that Airlines are forced to live in the real world and cease paying extraordinary wages for part time work. Sadly, the bean-counters don't know where to stop, have no morals, and we'll all end up suffering.

I do take exception to some of the comments about inexperienced FOs flying for the locos. Believe it or not, an eager, fully qualified and well trained low hour FO is capable of flying a modern jet aircraft in a professional and safe manner without burdening the Captain.