PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 15:55
big d1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree with other's here in that I really do not see the need for a runway extension. Ok yes with the current runway length your not going to get to Greece, but for the routes that are been talked about i.e France, Germany the runway length is fine for most aircraft. Ok maybe not a FULL 737-800. At the end of the day Mr O'L isn't going to pay for it so no doubt this cost will get passed on to the other airline (MOL will just threaten to leave if asked to pay more so the airport will bend over backwards to keep him) which will in turn be passed on to the passenger.

I think the main reason they have not started these routes out of BHD is because there is not the market in NI. Its not like London which can support multiple airports/airlines on the same routes. Flybe could if it really saw a market for it, have started these routes by now. The fact that they haven't should make you wonder why. The runway length is not an issue with the E195 and works very nicely for our ski and summer charters. Also BD come in every now and again with their A321 (not to sure if it is pax restricted??)

Is it really worth bending over backwards to get a longer runway just so FR can add a couple of European routes which will probably get cut over the winter due to the lack of demand. Then all we are left with is a big bill. Look at how EI struggled at BFS when competing with EZ for passengers. The market in NI is just not big enough for multiple European routes from multiple airports.

Look at how BOH has been getting mucked around by FR and the problems it is now facing in trying to pay for its nice new terminal over the winter with no other airlines to fill the gap after becoming too reliant on FR. Yes BHD is no where near the same level of reliance, but it just shows you what can happen if you get too close to FR.

BHD should stick to been a small city airport and stop trying to become an 'international'.

More airports need to take MAN lead and set a price, and if FR don't like it so be it. BHD was around long before FR arrived, and will not collapse if FR decide to leave.

Last edited by big d1; 7th Aug 2010 at 16:15.