PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELL 412 Transmission Oil Leak , Offshore
Old 7th Aug 2010, 12:30
500e

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jtA1
"FYI - I was also under the impression that there was a "30 minute run dry certification". Response from Texas in my subsequent investigations was "sorry, no such FAA requirement for civilian machines......" Good food for thought - again, don't be misled on the time you have available to run without oil - think ditch/land as soon as possible but as mentioned already, sea state & SAR situation will influence risk of ditching versus pushing the transmission to a hard surface landing.

We were all lucky and can thank the design team that over-engineered the transmission so well. Another captain I flew with lost the oil in a 212 many years ago - from a 1000' he'd hardly got down to the water before the txmsn failed catastrophically & they went in, he was the only survivor.
"
maroda
"By the way this XMSN is actually certified for sure with 30' run dry capability and operator went on with it for other 300 hours being cleared by Agusta for that.
Despite that we were forced to stop after a while after daily sump chip detection and Agusta decided to withdraw the transmission.
"
Again 2 professionals who have a totally different understanding of the gear box they fly, I presume they are talking about the same type Helicopter