PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Symptoms of the approaching stall...
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 10:35
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick point about stick position which occurred to me when reading this thread. Many, many years ago, when an almost brand new PPL, I took our Rollason Condor on a local flight. 2000' in the cruise correct engine speed, correct airspeed and nicely trimmed out. It was a lovely day and I was enjoying the view. Scanned instruments. Noted I had lost 200' with a small rate of descent noted on the VSI. Thought no more of it, trimmed the nose up a tad, stopped descent and carried on viewing the countryside. The trimming had, of course caused the stick to move bac towards me a tad. Scanned instruments again - small rate of descent noted again and elevator trimmer once again adjusted bring the stick back a tad more.
Then I got curious. "Why?" I asked myself: "this is the second time I have done this." So I investigated further, noted that my airspeed had dropped a bit, checked the tachometer was also reading a lower speed of propellor rotation, so I automatically hit the carburettor heat control. Engine de-iced itself, R.P.M. regained its former setting and the slight climb which now commenced was corrected by trimming the nose down. A careful check was maintained for carburettor icing during the rest of the trip.
Just a little example of stick position being another indication of an approaching stall. Fortunately, I had been well taught and knew what to do at 45 hours!

P.P.