PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure
Thread: Engine Failure
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 09:06
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 50/50 on whether Guppy is a very experienced FSX pilot, or a real pilot. If you read pprune for enough years, you will be able to deliver all the right stories. My main PPL instructor was a brilliant story teller, but I did eventually suss that he was a total fake (fake ATPL, fake IR, fake type ratings in a TBM and a PC12, fake TBM TRI/TRE, countless fake trips across the world in PA46s, etc). He eventually (and suddenly) vanished, following some "happenings" at the school where he was a CFI. He was a real CFI though - but a UK "CFI" is a fake qualification anyway; a one man band running a school out of a shed is automatically a "CFI" of that school.

But he was a good instructor. The best instructor I ever had (at the PPL level). He taught me what the trim wheel does (it sets the speed; all the engine does is control the rate of climb - how many pilots actually know that?) and that watching the speedo on final is going to dramatically improve one's life expectancy. I just had to quietly smile when he said that if too many planes tune into a VOR (yes I don't mean a DME) it stops working.

Guppy is quite possibly real, but I think his vast range of exploits has gone to his head. He would more effectively pass on his wisdom if he was less patronising. The way he is going he should expect a job offer from the CAA any time soon. As a consolation prize he could have a retirement job editing GASIL/GASCO

XX621 - feel free to email me if you want to pass anything by me. I don't know the IO360 but I might give you some ideas, or ask around people who might know. Having done the rounds of engine stuff a bit, in the UK, I now think there is precious sod all engine debugging expertise over here. I was once ripped off 1400 euros (AOG) for a replacement starter motor (listed at US$400 but that's a side issue) but the company, JAR145 et cetc etc with EASA Design Authority etc etc etc did not know enough to determine it was a duff battery. Now, I carry a voltmeter in my toolbox A friend with a turbo engine spent ~6 months messing around with everybody and their dog trying to find out what was wrong with the waste gate controller; I think it was by luck that it was finally fixed.

But if I had an unexplained stoppage, apparently cured by the electric pump, I would not fly until the whole fuel system is stripped and inspected, and I mean all the pipes, and tanks. After all, they still haven't actually found what did in BA038

If you have the EDM700 data, does it show the stoppage, as a loss of EGTs? Once, in the descent into Antwerp, ~ 8000ft, heavily leaned, I had a "hesitation" for a few secs showing itself as a sudden loss of IAS; I went to max power and it went away. The EGTs always looked fine. Upon landing, my friend and I took the cowlings off and checked everything visually, check for fuel leaks (with the pump running), etc. Found nothing. Did extra long power checks, took off and climbed at Vx into strong headwind, but it never happened again. The EDM data showed nothing! Certainly no interruption of combustion (unless it was only seconds). I now think it may have been a brief downdraught and with the autopilot holding a constant -VS, given the very low power setting that would have done it. So I think it was my imagination but it was a little worrying at the time.